Local SEO Services
Small business internet marketing is growing more necessary by the hour. Local SEO services are today’s version of what Yellow Page advertising used to be. Everyone knows the Yellow Pages are pretty much obsolete, television is expensive, and advertising in the paper or other publications just doesn’t really get the job done. The times have changed and now optimizing your website for Google has become the absolute best way for local businesses to get the upper hand over competitors and to draw in new business.
According to a Kelsey Group study 97% of consumers use the internet to research products and services in their local areas. Internet marketing isn’t just for huge companies anymore, it’s for all small business too. Customers are already searching for the products and services your local company offers, will they find you or your competition?
With Scepter Marketing, internet marketing is easy and simple. Our team of internet marketing experts will work with you to create an online marketing campaign to help you gain and keep new customers. To get started bringing more customers to your door get in touch with us. Or, if you want more information about our specific, local SEO services as well as how to choose a local SEO company, you can learn more by exploring the information below.
What Is Local Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Local search engine optimization is the process of getting your website to rank as highly as possible on Google for keywords that your potential customers are using to search for your business’s products, services, or information. To do this, we need to prove to Google that your company and its website is a trustworthy and authoritative source of information about the services your company offers.
Generally speaking, the higher you rank in Google for keywords related to your business’s services and products, the more clicks you will get to your site, the more leads you will generate, and the more sales you will make.
What Are Local SEO Services?
There are numerous factors that go into getting you good rankings. Aside from being ranked in the city that you’re trying to rank in, here are a few highlights of the most important factors:
- Claiming and then Optimizing your Google My Business page
- Writing proper content on your website that includes the keywords that you want to rank for so that Google knows what your site is about (called On-Page optimization)
- Claiming or creating social profiles for your business on sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn
- Claiming or creating as many business listings as you can on local listing sites such as Yelp, Yellow Pages, Super Pages, Merchant Circle, Local.com, Manta, etc. (there are literally thousands, but you can start with at least a hundred)
- Get links to your site from other authoritative, related sites. If your vendors, manufacturers, suppliers, associations, or friends have websites, get them to link to you.
While each of these 5 things could have a very long, technical article written about it, those are the basics, and they work. Most local SEO service packages should account for all of these factors.
Choosing a Local SEO Company
Unfortunately, there are a LOT of scammers and spammers in the search industry offering local SEO services. These crazies are self-appointed “gurus” or “experts” that are using outdated methods that not only will not help your site rank but which could actually end up getting your site blacklisted by Google. Therefore, it is imperative that you do proper research to find a company that will handle your website with care and actually get you results.
Red Flags to Look Out For
- Companies that offer “bulk link building” services – These are all over the internet. You can buy 2000 links on Fiverr.com for $5 or $10. DON’T DO THIS for your company website. Doing so will likely not get you any results and may result in your getting worse rankings.
- Agencies that buy links for your website – Buying links may help your site rank, but it is against Google’s Terms of Service, so if you get caught, your site may get penalized or even blacklisted. Ask the company their thoughts on buying links for their customers’ sites. If you want long-term results, stay away from companies that will point bought links to your site.
- Companies that have not done any SEO for their own site – Google the company. Look at the results. The company should be #1 for their company name. If they are not, if they are outranked by Yelp or Facebook for their full business name, then don’t bother with them.
- Never mention optimizing the pages of your site OR never mention links to your site – SEO has 2 major parts: what happens on your website and what happens off your website. If a company only talks about one or the other, skip ’em. Any local SEO services package should have both!
- Telling you there will be NO results for 6-12 months – The truth is that SEO can take several months before you see an ROI. However, it should never be more than 2-3 months without seeing ANY results. Great SEO companies will talk about the reports that you will receive which will show you improvements in rankings even if you’re not #1 in Google yet. Be sure that you ask what you should expect. If the local seo agency or firm you are talking to doesn’t talk about their reporting, or if they are too vague, don’t hire them. They should care enough about your business to make sure that you can track their progress.
- Trying to get you ranked for keywords that don’t matter – Getting ranked for a term like, “Best House Roofer for Layered Shingles in Residential Areas of Chicago” isn’t going to help you because no one searches for that term. On the other side, getting ranked for “Roofer” is way to competitive and would therefore cost you thousands of dollars, would probably take years, and would likely bring you tons of traffic that wouldn’t buy anything from you because they don’t live in your area. To avoid getting scammed, make sure you get a list of the keywords that the agency wants to target for you along with the search volume (approximate number of searches) for each keyword. Then, use some common sense to make sure that these terms are going to drive traffic to your site that will buy.
- Talking over your head – SEO can be very technical and very complicated. However, at the end of the day, companies that provide local SEO services like ours need to make sure that we can translate the cost of our services into ROI for our customers. This means that you have to “get it.” Be prepared for some technical mumbojumbo, but also make sure that you understand the process, how long it will take, why it will take that long, and how you and your SEO company will track progress.
Of course, feel free to ask us all of these questions as well. We want each of our customers to feel comfortable working with us, and so we take the time to answer your questions and go through any details that you don’t understand.
Chances are good that we’re the local SEO company you’ve been looking for, so please get in touch to talk about how we can help you grow your business.