Looking to move your site up the search engine results pages for your Lansing-based company? Here is your complete guide.
Step 1: Keyword Research
The first thing you need to do is figure out what Lansingites are searching for when they are looking for the products or services that you offer. In SEO terms, the keywords “Lansing Marketing,” “Marketing in Lansing,” “Marketing Lansing MI,” and “Lansing based marketing” are all different keywords. Sure, you and I understand that they all roughly mean the same thing, but we are dealing with computers who are not quite as smart as people… yet. There are a ton of websites out there that explain keyword research so click here to Google it.
Step 2: Apply the Keyword Research
Okay, once you do the keyword research, you’re going to need to put your keywords in the title of your page, in the meta description, and probably at least once in the body of your post. The important thing here is to be “natural.” What’s natural to a computer you ask? Well, honestly, it keeps changing which is one of the reasons that I hate SEO. But, that’s neither here nor there. The best practice is to just include each keyword that you want to get ranked for once in each of the aforementioned places. If you don’t know how to do this, we’re more than happy to help you. Just shoot us an email.
Step 3: Link Building
So now that you’re website is optimized, you should see your rankings improve quite a bit! The next thing you’re going to want to do is to build links to your site. Here’s a punch list for you:
- Set up a Google Places Page for yourself
- Do the same thing on Bing
- Add your website to the Lansing Link Directory
- Add your website to every other small business directory you can find. Here is a good place to start looking: Local Link Directories
- Comment on local blogs that allow you to plug in your URL when you’re posting
- Write lots of articles/blog posts and post them on sites such as ezinearticles.com or goarticles.com.
- If you are interested in being published locally, please contact us about writing for our new website I Am Lansing which is a site that we are working on exclusively for the purpose of giving people just like you an opportunity for more exposure to people in Lansing.
Step 4: Watch your Rankings Rise
This has been a brief overview of how you can begin to increase your rankings in the search engines. As always, we are here to help you do just that. Contact us today to get started with your marketing or sign up for our newsletter.